13th Age Part 1: Icons and Setting
Episode 70 Tuesday January 11, 2022
Call ins & Emails from the Outlands
1.) Call ins from Taylor of Clerics Wear Ringmail
2.) Discussion with live chat
3.) Industry news:
– Champions of the Realm
– Strixhaven Credit Omission
– Removing slavery from TTRPGs
4.) Message from PedantryInMotion on twitter
Main Topic: 13thAge, Part 1
A.) 13thage by Rob Heinsoo & Jonathan Tweet (2013) Overview
· It is similar to dnd: race/class/level and it is a d20 rolling game
· Has plenty of supplements, free adventures
· Used to have organized play: Tales of the 13th age
· Has lots of free stuff available:
The Archmage Engine
B.) Layout and look
· 321pages, color and decent art, trying to find things for PC creation can be quite annoying and if you know 3.X
some confusion commences. It could use a good re-editing pass and a re-organization
· not the best of editing nor a good index
· useful charts and character sheet near pp.309-310
C.) Setting and Tone
· The setting is the Dragon Empire, and the icons are what make it tick.
· The quotes for each Icon, their allies and enemies, common knowledge, how they relate to the pcs (through the
Relationship Points- story game element/resource), and True Dangers.
· High Adventure setting
· The world contains 13 ages so far and that 13 is the default one
· World described vividly and rife with adventure in mind
· PCs are Big Damn Heroes from the jump.
· Wide open to individual interpretation and encouraged to make it your own
· No gods defined. But they discuss how you could do it if you want. (pp.196-199)
· The Land is a big flat disk with oceans all around
· The civilized area is the Dragon Empire, map purposefully incomplete
· The 7 Cities (p.260) are Icons’ centers of power, and a smattering of small towns.
· At least two possibilities are mentioned with many entries, not expected to follow canon. (EX: The Dire Wood
pp.264, and Gorogan’s Maw, pp.269)
· Some of the more exotic elements:
o The Living Dungeons pp. 265-66
o The Flying Realms pp.266-67
o Hellholes pp.269-70
o Migration Trail of the Koru Behemoths pp.272-74
o The Sea Wall pp.279-80
· The Overworld and Underworld are mentioned, but not given as much detail
Random Question: Do we need to rant?
Shameless Plug Time:
If you would like to support our show, please visit the many places you can find us on the inter-webs:
Website: www.biggusgeekuspodcast.com click on support for ways to give us your money
Share this show with your friends and let us know if there is another way that you listen or watch that we could support better.
Please Subscribe, Like, share, and rate us in all the places that you find us.
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/biggusgeekus/message
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/biggusgeekus/support